Friday, September 19, 2008

Food pyramids

After three days of eating rice, beans, and stale 7/11 biscuits for breakfast, I decided it was high time to check out Mercado de la Merced. It's a wholesale market downtown, selling anything you could dream of, including 120-count muffin tins and buckets of marmelade. It also specializes in large burlap sacks filled with things that you would have previously thought inedible. 

Like dried sardines - didn't know you could eat those. I made the mistake of making eye contact with them while walking by, which led me to stop and gasp and thereby convince the the stall owner that I was a closeted dried fish lover. He rushed over and dug his hands into the sack, allowing the sardines to rain through his fingers while giggling. I got the feeling he wanted me to do the same thing. Instead I blurted out something about needing avocados, and ran away.

Sweet Mary, the avocados. When I reached that stall, the first thing the lady asked me was, "When do you want to make your guacamole, today or later?" I just stood there and blinked...for a brief moment I felt I had met my soul mate. By this point I was already weighted down with tomatoes, squash, potatoes, limes, bananas, peppers, and a bouquet of cilantro. She took one look at me, and while holding my astonished gaze, began to squeeze various parts of the avocado pyramid surrounding her. She presented me with a bag of eight perfect, instant-guacamoleable avocados, and charged me 25 pesos, or $2.50.

For the same price I also bought a wooden cutting board, and 2 kilos of almonds, cashews, granola, and oatmeal. With plastic bag handles digging into my forearms I staggered over to a busy cheese stall and added one final bag to the mix: my new favorite cheese, a stretchy variety that behaves like string cheese, only it comes coiled up in a giant super-rope of endless cheese-peeling fun. 

I also asked for yogurt. The guy pointed behind him to the wall, which I realized was built of yogurt containers. "All we have is buckets," he said, raising one eyebrow in what I took to be a dare.

1 comment:

courtneyNchambers said...

Katie! go back and buy some dried sardines -- they are really good. they're like the saltiest, crispiest french fries you've ever tasted (with eyes). i would've killed to see a man giggle and let tiny fish run through his fingers, i will dream about this for weeks, i'm sure.

The information presented here does not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.