Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pause and play

Been rawther busy lately, which is precisely why I want to pause for a moment and put in a plug for my favorite podcasts. These are spectacular for cleaning, cooking, exercising, walking from point A to point B, lazying, folding, staring out of windows, etc. 

I had tried to get into podcasts in college, but always felt too busy or impatient to sit through an entire episode. But since moving to Mexico, I resolved to make more time for listening. Before I knew it, podcasts crept back in as an entertaining way to relax at the end (or the beginning) of the day. Also, they're handy for drowning out the sounds of dubbed Tim Allen movies on bus trips.

some tasty podcasts:
  • WNYC's Radio Lab - science news you can understand and then impressively reproduce at dinner parties.
  • WBEZ's This American Life - still cranking out the driveway moments
  • WBEZ's Re:Sound - audio treats doled out by my former radio prof!
  • WFMU's Antique Phonograph Music Program - crackles galore! (this show alternates with Surface Noise, which plays antique recordings from a little later down the road....oddly they don't have a podcast but you can stream their episodes here.)
  • WFMU's Downtown Soulville with Mr. Fine Wine - sweet, sweet old soul 45's, perfect for accompanying any activity that requires getting off your lazy bum.
Any new suggestions welcome! Back to folding.

No comments:

The information presented here does not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.